MHSAA-Farm Bureau Insurance Scholar-Athlete Award
2018-19 marks the 30th year Farm Bureau Insurance has sponsored the MHSAA’s Scholar-Athlete Award. Since the beginning of the sponsorship, Farm Bureau Insurance has awarded $768,000 in Scholar-Athlete awards. This year, 32 $1,000 scholarships will be available to high school seniors who meet the eligibility requirements listed below.
- Enrollment - Student must be enrolled and participating in interscholastic athletics at an MHSAA member school.
- Senior Status - Student must be a senior graduating during the 2018-19 school year.
- Varsity Letter - Student must have prior to senior year won a varsity letter in a sport in which the MHSAA sponsors a post-season tournament.
- 3.50 GPA - Student must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. You may not round up a 3.4x grade point average for the purposes of qualifying.
Application Sections, Scoring & Helpful Hints:
- Essay (40%): Be creative in telling the judges why sportsmanship is important to educational athletics. VERY IMPORTANT: the judges will be reading dozens of essays - make yours stand out! Tell the judges a personal story about sportsmanship; don't give them the Webster's definition of sportsmanship.
- Extra-Curricular Activities Form (30%): Focus on significant leadership experiences and significant athletic achievements and academic awards won. Judges are looking for quality of experiences, not quantity of experiences.
- Short-Answer Questions (20%): Use this space to tell us more about how you've personally benefited by staying active – both with school sports and with outside school activities. These are not throw-away questions, consider them mini-essays.
- Letters of Recommendation (10%): Approach coaches, teachers, school administrators, youth group leaders or others in your community to have them write recommendation letters so the judges can learn a little bit more about you.
Please contact your Athletic Director for the Access Code to begin the application process.
This is the first time the application process has been online. If you have questions, please contact Paige Winne at email@example.com or (517) 332-5046 ext. 140.