2020-21 MHSAA-Farm Bureau Insurance Scholar-Athlete Award
2020-21 marks the 32nd year Farm Bureau Insurance has sponsored the MHSAA’s Scholar-Athlete Award. Since the beginning of the sponsorship, Farm Bureau Insurance has awarded $832,000 in Scholar-Athlete awards. This year, 32 $1,000 scholarships will be available to high school seniors who meet the eligibility requirements listed below.
- Enrollment - Student must be enrolled and participating in interscholastic athletics at an MHSAA member school.
- Senior Status - Student must be a senior graduating during the 2020-21 school year.
- Varsity Letter - Student must have prior to senior year won a varsity letter in a sport in which the MHSAA sponsors a post-season tournament.
- 3.50 GPA - Student must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. You may not round up a 3.4x grade point average for the purposes of qualifying.
Application Sections, Scoring & Helpful Hints:
- Essay (40%): Be creative in telling the judges why sportsmanship is important to educational athletics. VERY IMPORTANT: the judges will be reading dozens of essays - make yours stand out! Tell the judges a personal story about sportsmanship; don't give them the Webster's definition of sportsmanship.
- Extra-Curricular Activities Form (30%): Focus on significant leadership experiences and significant athletic achievements and academic awards won. Judges are looking for quality of experiences, not quantity of experiences.
- Short-Answer Questions (20%): Use this space to tell us more about how you've personally benefited by staying active – both with school sports and with outside school activities. These are not throw-away questions, consider them mini-essays.
- Letters of Recommendation (10%): Approach coaches, teachers, school administrators, youth group leaders or others in your community to have them write recommendation letters so the judges can learn a little bit more about you.
Please contact your Athletic Director for the Access Code to begin the application process.
If you have questions, please contact Paige Winne at email@example.com or (517) 332-5046 ext. 140.